Effective anti-depressant. Similar benefits to sweet orange, a more intense oil.
What Stillpoint "Nose"
- For the physical body, blood orange essential oil is effective for digestive issues, nausea, tummy aches, minor muscle aches, and pains, and is a great skin tonic.
- For the mental and emotional bodies orange essential oil is uplifting and a wonderful mood enhancer. It is like sunshine in a bottle.
Energetics and Chakras2nd Chakra - relationships, creation energy, 3rd Chakra - personal power, 6th Chakra - perspective, Balancing, Clarity, Energizing, Purifying, Uplifting
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities of Orange, Blood
Blood Orange Essential oil is like connecting to the sun. For most, the aroma of fresh oranges brings back joyful memories. We use orange essential oil when we want to connect with our childlike quality, remember how to play, creation, expression, and big fun. Blood Orange essential oil is expressed or distilled from the rind and this can also offer for energetic protection. It can help soften perfectionists, and also allow self to make mistakes. It moves stuck and negative energy and lightens the energetic feel. Blood Orange essential oil is balancing to the second chakra. So when you are in need of inspiration and balance in your relationships, including orange in your formulation will help!
The orange originates from oriental Asia (China, India, and the Asiatic South-East). Orange was first mentioned by the Arabs and they were the first to introduce the orange to Europe. The word orange comes from the Arabic word ‘narandj’, which means ‘orange’. The golden apple (orange) was the fruit that Juno gave to Jupiter on the day of their celestial wedding.
In Greek mythology, the orange is a symbol of innocence and fertility, This is seen in the myth of Atalanta. The story goes like this, Atalanta was the fastest mortal and would only get married to the man that could beat her in a race. When her challengers lost, she would kill them. It wasn't until Aphrodite, the Goddess of Love helped Milanion. Aphrodite gave him a bunch of oranges and during the race, he dropped them along the way, distracting Atalanta and winning the race, They were married, and Atalanta became a mother and a housewife-the symbol of innocence and fertility.
Therapeutic Benefits of Orange, BloodAnti-anxiety, Anti-bacterial, Anti-depressant, Anti-emetic, Anti-inflammatory, Anti-microbial, Anti-oxidant, Anti-septic, Anti-spasmodic, Anti-viral, Carminative, Digestive stimulant, Digestive tonic, Disinfectant, Immune support, Lymphatic support, Sedative, Stimulant, Stomachic
Aroma-Chemistry of Orange, Blood
D-Limonene is a terpene (C10H16) from the monoterpene chemical family and is found in very high percentages in citrus essential oils. Limonene may be one of the most researched chemical components found in essential oils.
- Limonene has been found to have antioxidant properties. This allows it to counteract the effects of free radicals, which affect DNA mutations and are cancer causing. As an antioxidant, limonene can prevent cell damage and reduce the risk of cancer. Limonene builds up in the tissues, which is a good thing.
- Limonene is a boost to the immune system. In studies with rats, limonene was proven to produce more antibodies when exposed to foreign antigens. It also has been shown to fight bacteria and reduce allergic reactions.
- Limonene is effective as a minor pain reliever. Limonene reduced widespread pain in the bones and muscles of mice.
- Limonene may reduce depression, stress, and anxiety as well as inflammation. D-Limonene is a selective activator of the adenosine A(2A) receptor on cell membranes. These receptors are vital for nervous system function. The lack of their activation is associated with anxiety, insomnia, and impaired dopamine transmission (addictive tendencies and lack of motivation). A lack of activation of adenosine A(2A) receptors on immune cells results in a hyperimmune response (allergic reactions).
- Limonene is a skin penetration enhancer. It does this by disrupting the cells of the horny layer of the skin, so when it is included in any skin formulation, the formula will be absorbed into the dermis faster and easier.
- It is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Very helpful in treating arthritis, bursitis, and fibromyalgia
- Limonene was found to dissolve gallstones in a recent study. It activates several of Phase I and Phase II liver detox enzymes responsible for clearing toxins. The terpenes of d-Limonene literally dissolve fat sludge. Think of it as an internal degreaser!
- Limonene is also an anti-proliferative --- aka kills cancer cells
So, you can see how orange is a powerfully medicinal oil for the physical, emotional, spiritual and mental bodies. The Citrus oils can contain anywhere between 66 and 95 percent d limonene!