Lemon Essence is made by a special extraction process from the fruit juice.
What Stillpoint "Nose"
Lemon essential oil is often overlooked for its vast medicinal properties it is one of the best oils to decongest, cleanse and detoxify. It is great to decongest the lymphatic system and to cool heat and reduce dampness and phlegm in the body (a little oriental medicine for you).
Traditional Use of Lemon Essence
The juice of the the lemon is the ultimate remedy for scurvy, which is a disease resulting from not enough vitamin C. Back inthe day English ships were required to have lemon or lime juice on noard for the sailors. Lemon juice is also recommended for rhuematism. It is tjoughjt to be an effective antidote for narcotic poinoning. It was ussd as a medicinal food to help cool fevers. It was used to treat jaundice, heart palpitations and the ultimate remedy for hiccoghs
The lemon tree is a small, thorny tree that grows well throughout the tropical and subtropical regions of the world. Lemons are cultivated in modest amounts for home use almost everywhere that citrus trees can survive,. Lemon trees grow to about 3–6 m and are sparsely foliaged. Lemon trees are cold sensitive unlike her citrus cousins of Orane and Grapefruit. Lemon has a lower sugar contenet than the other two.
Therapeutic Benefits of Lemon EssenceAnti-anxiety, Anti-bacterial, Anti-depressant, Anti-fungal, Anti-infectious, Anti-oxidant, Anti-rheumatic, Anti-septic, Anti-spasmodic, Anti-viral, Astringent, Carminative, Diuretic, Immuno-stimulant, Liver supporter, Lymph decongest, Rubefacient, Tonifying
Aroma-Chemistry of Lemon Essence
D-Limonene is a terpene (C10H16) from the monoterpene chemical family and is found in very high percentages in citrus essential oils. Limonene may be one of the most researched chemical components found in essential oils.
- Limonene has been found to have antioxidant properties. This allows it to counteract the effects of free radicals, which affect DNA mutations and are cancer causing. As an antioxidant, limonene can prevent cell damage and reduce the risk of cancer. Limonene builds up in the tissues, which is a good thing.
- Limonene is a boost to the immune system. In studies with rats, limonene was proven to produce more antibodies when exposed to foreign antigens. It also has been shown to fight bacteria and reduce allergic reactions.
- Limonene is effective as a minor pain reliever. Limonene reduced widespread pain in the bones and muscles of mice.
- Limonene may reduce depression, stress, and anxiety as well as inflammation. D-Limonene is a selective activator of the adenosine A(2A) receptor on cell membranes. These receptors are vital for nervous system function. The lack of their activation is associated with anxiety, insomnia, and impaired dopamine transmission (addictive tendencies and lack of motivation). A lack of activation of adenosine A(2A) receptors on immune cells results in a hyperimmune response (allergic reactions).
- Limonene is a skin penetration enhancer. It does this by disrupting the cells of the horny layer of the skin, so when it is included in any skin formulation, the formula will be absorbed into the dermis faster and easier.
- It is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Very helpful in treating arthritis, bursitis, and fibromyalgia
- Limonene was found to dissolve gallstones in a recent study. It activates several of Phase I and Phase II liver detox enzymes responsible for clearing toxins. The terpenes of d-Limonene literally dissolve fat sludge. Think of it as an internal degreaser!
- Limonene is also an anti-proliferative --- aka kills cancer cells
So, you can see how lemon is a powerfully medicinal oil for the physical, emotional, spiritual and mental bodies. The Citrus oils can contain anywhere between 66 and 95 percent d limonene!
Safety Information for Lemon Essence