What Stillpoint "Nose"
Sagebrush Essebtial Oil is a great choice to use in respiratory blends as well as muscular blends. We have successfully used this essential oil in chest salves and balms, stock blends for diffusers, and aroma sticks (inhalers) for allergies, flu, colds, asthma, rhinitis and other respiratory concerns. We have also used Sagebrush oil up to 10% dilution in salve, balm, oil and crème preparations to help alleviate rheumatic, arthritic as well as muscular and joint pain. It is a great substitition for other camphor rish oils in all blends.
The trunk of Sagebrush is thick, woody, and older plants are often covered by a grayish-brown stringy bark. The leaves are wedge shaped and typically have three blunt teeth however sometimes they have four to nine teeth and occasionally are completely lacking teeth. In the fall, the small yellow flowers form in panicles at branch ends. Sagebrush is a prolific seeder.
Energetics and Chakras1st Chakra - survival and support, 3rd Chakra - personal power, 5th Chakra - speaking truth, 7th Chakra - higher information, Clarity, Expansive
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities of Sagebrush, Big - Limited Reserve- Rare
Therapeutic Benefits of Sagebrush, Big - Limited Reserve- RareAnalgesic, Anti-arthritic, Anti-asthmatic, Anti-depressant, Anti-infectious, Anti-parasitic, Anti-rheumatic, Anti-spasmodic, Anti-viral, Cephalic, Disinfectant, Energizing, Mucolytic
Aroma-Chemistry of Sagebrush, Big - Limited Reserve- Rare
- Camphor has been used externally for a variety of ailments ranging from respiratory issues to muscular and rheumatic pain.
- The principle use of camphor is to reduce coughs. Camphor vapors are inhaled as treatment for upper respiratory tract ailments
- Camphor act as an analgesic . Camphor, in addition to its analgesic action, posesses counter irritant and rubefacient effects. These qualities make essential oils rich in camphor ideal in blends for the relief of fibrositis and neuralgia
- Camphor exhibits effective antitussive ability
- 1,8-cineole, also known as eucalyptol, is both an oxide and ether. The name '1,8' refers to the fact that the oxygen atom is bonded to the first and eighth carbon atoms (Super Cool)!
- 1,8-cineole has a strong affinity with the respiratory system. Cineole is both an expectorant and mucolytic agent.
- 1,8-cineole also helps relives coughs, helps to open the bronchial tubes (bronchodilator), breaks down mucous (mucolytic). 1,8-cineole has had positive effects on lung function.
- 1,8-cineole has been shown to increase cerebral blood flow when used in inhalation. This implies a sense of clarity and focus.
Aroma of Sagebrush, Big - Limited Reserve- RareCamphoraceous, Cool, Earthy, Fresh, Herbaceous, Strong
Recipes and Blends
Blends Well With...Clove Bud Essential Oil, Balsam Copaiba Essential Oil, Clove Bud Essential Oil - Sedona Limited Reserve
Safety Information for Sagebrush, Big - Limited Reserve- Rare
Please note that the amount of camphor found in Sagebrush is about the same amount of camphor as rosemary camphor chemotype, which has no contraindications in Essential Oil Safety. However, it is worth taking note that camphor is known to cross the skin, mucous membranes, and the placenta barrier.
Musacchio, Joy V, and Cynthia E Brownley. “Sagebrush - The New Oil of The Southwest.”International Journal of Professional Holistic Aromatherapy.