- Country of Origin:Vietnam
- Plant Parts:Root, Wood
- Cultivation Method:Organically Grown
- Note Classification:Base
- Method of Extraction:Steam or Hydro Distillation
- Botanical Family:Cupressaceae
- Chemical Family: Sesquiterpenols
- Extraction Date: October 2016
- Approx. Shelf Life: The older it gets the better it gets
- Batch: siam2016
What Stillpoint "Nose"
This is a different essential oil to find in an aromatherapists medicine bag, but it is beyond awesome. Siam Wood essential oil goes by other names! It is also known as Pemou, Po Mu, Fujian Cypress, Coffin Wood, and Bois de Siam. This essential oil is great for both physical and emotional inflammation. We have found it to be very effective in blends for muscle inflammation, arthritis, and rheumatism. It soothes all types of skin inflammations as well. And it is the most effective insect repellent hands down! 1% in a blend will do the trick!
She has been noted as being a neuroendocrine tonic as well as being supportive of the pituitary/adrenal pathway and the pituitary/testes pathway, making this possible an wonderful oil for adrenal fatigue. We have had great results blending this with Black Spruce (Picea mariana) for adrenal issues.
The insect repellant quality comes from the properties of the wood. Siam Wood was once used in Vietnam to build coffins! The wood is resistant to moisture and kept the insects at bay, protecting the physical representation of the dead. Hence, the name coffin wood.
She is also beautiful in perfumery. She carries a soft and powerful base note aroma, similar to Amyris, Sandalwood, and Balsam Copaiba.
Fokienia is an evergreen tree, 80 to 100 or so feet tall. It has greyish-brownish bark that peels off when the tree is young. On older trees, the bark presents longitudinal fissures and becomes aromatic. The thing that we find fascinating is that Siam Wood is recognized as a single genus! It is the ONLY living species classified in the subfamily Cupressoideae within the family Cuprressaceae.
Energetics and Chakras1st Chakra - survival and support, 3rd Chakra - personal power, 4th Chakra - unconditional love, 6th Chakra - perspective, Expansive, Grounding, Introspective, Meditative, Protective
Energetic, Spiritual, and Emotional Qualities of Siam Wood
This essential oil is one of the most powerful ones to use in the energetic and vibrational realm. She is distilled from the discarded heartwood and the roots of the Fokienia tree.
- The fact that the oil is distilled from the discarded trunk makes this oil very effective to help with situations of loneliness, abandonment, being left or left out, being all alone (both in the physical or with perspective), rejection and any situation that we feel shunned.
- The fact that the oil is distilled from the heartwood makes this oil very effective to use with things of the heart. Fourth Chakra issues -In our training fourth chakra deals with love for self and love for the Divine. This is where your Divine Identity lies as well as false identities.
- The fact that the oil is distilled from the roots makes this oil grounding, supportive, helps you stand firm.
- The fact that the oil is distilled from the wood that was used to bulid coffins, makes this oil the oil of choice when dealig with anything about death. We have used this oil for all types of grief and despair when it comes to transition. Transition from this world to the next or for transtion in this life to something new when something has ended.
- The fact that the oils is distilled from an evergreen makes association with everlasting life.
We couldn't find much on folklore :(
Therapeutic Benefits of Siam WoodAnti-anxiety, Anti-arthritic, Anti-bacterial, Anti-inflammatory, Anti-rheumatic, Calming, Cicatrisant, CNS tonic, Cooling, Insect repellent
Aroma-Chemistry of Siam Wood
Siam wood essential oil is predominantly made up of sesquiterpenols. The main chemical constituents of this essential oil are fokienol and trans-nerolidol, approximately 33 and 25 percent respectively. Sesquiterpenol rich oils are known to be anti-inflammatory, grounding, soothing and supportive to the system.
We find it really fascinating that the oil is distilled form the trunk and roots of the Fokienia tree that are left as worthless by loggers, AND those are the exact parts of the tree that are where the highest percentage of Fokienol lives! Interesting, don't you think?
Aroma of Siam WoodExotic, Resinous, Rich, Sensual, Soft, Vanilla-like, Warm
Recipes and Blends
This is a wonderful blend for the skin!
Choose your favorite carrier for the skin (We love to make it in a 1oz cream base)
Add to that:
- 5% Geranium (Pelargonium x asperum)
- 45% Siam Wood (Fokienia hodginsii)
- 50% Jamrosa (Cymbopogon jwarancusa and Cymbopogon nardus var. confertiflorus)
Safety Information for Siam Wood
No known safety issues associated with Siam Wood essential oil.
Palutch, Gretchen. Characterization of Botanical Terpene Activity in Arthropods. Digital Repository @ Iowa State University, 2009.